Wednesday, April 11, 2012

4/11/2012 Mackenthun's and Household Energy Savings

This morning, I did two of those twice-a-year maintenance projects that save money on energy. I vacuumed out the dryer vent and the coils under the refrigerator. Not only does vacuuming out the dryer vent save on energy, but it also reduces the risk of a fire. If you don't have a good tool for getting all the way through the dryer vent, check out http://shop.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_dryer.asp. This kit works really well for me.

I went to Mackenthun's today for training pants and produce.

23 training pants - $5.99
2 avocados - $3.18
2 tomatoes - $3.84
head lettuce - $1.59
2 bags of croutons - $3.00

I brought a used paper grocery bag with me and got a nickel. The total was $17.55. Produce is expensive at Mackenthun's, but the gas to go out to one of the big chains would have evened the price difference out, and I just didn't need to go there this week. I could have bought Roma tomatoes and paid less, but they didn't look very good. I was surprised to find that the organic tomatoes from Iowa were the same price as the regular tomatoes that were labeled "USA." They were both vine-ripened. The cheaper tomatoes were all from Mexico, and I figured that the ones from Iowa, organic and grown so close to home (even if in a greenhouse, most likely), would be the more nutritious choice. I am up to $46.23 for the week. Even if the produce was expensive, I'm doing really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saving With Seven is your source for great savings in the Waconia, MN area.

I love reading your comments! Comments may not show up instantly, as I do screen them for inappropriateness. If your comment is about a great deal that I think is something big, I may decide to create a new post based on your comment, rather than just adding it as a comment to another post. Thanks for reading Saving with Seven!